Someone is going to pay dearly for letting Glorious Leader down. It just isn’t done.
The failures that keep happening might lead one to speculate that there is a saboteur on the Korean team that’s working to develop the country’s weaponry. The saboteur could be an agent of South Korea but also an agent of the Chinese.
North Korea has attempted to launch a missile on its east coast which is believed to have failed, South Korean and US military officials say.
The US said it had detected a ballistic missile, which blew up immediately.
It comes a day after North Korea warned the US that it was “ready to hit back with nuclear attacks” amid mounting tension in the region.
The state has already conducted five nuclear tests and a series of missile launches.
Meanwhile, US Vice-President Mike Pence is flying to the South Korean capital, Seoul, where he is expected to discuss the best way to deal with North Korea’s missile and nuclear programme.
‘Blew up immediately’
“North Korea attempted to test an unidentified type of missile from [its eastern port of] Sinpo,” the South Korean defence ministry said, adding that the suspected launch on Sunday had “failed”.
The ministry said that it was investigating for further details.
The US Pacific Command later confirmed the failed test, adding that it had detected and tracked what it believed to be a North Korean ballistic missile.
“The missile blew up almost immediately,” said US Navy Commander Dave Benham, quoted by Reuters news agency.
On Saturday, North Korea marked the 105th anniversary of the birth of its founding president, Kim Il-sung, with a huge military parade in Pyongyang amid speculation that current leader Kim Jong-un could order a new nuclear test.
The event, which appeared to include new intercontinental and submarine-launched ballistic missiles, was a deliberate show of strength.
Tension continues to rise in the Korean Peninsula with a US aircraft carrier group steaming towards the region.
Mike Pence’s long-planned 10-day trip marks his first official visit to the region, where he is expected to reaffirm the US commitment to stand by its regional allies.
It comes as Washington steps up the pressure on the isolated North, with President Donald Trump saying that the US is ready to act alone to deal with the nuclear threat.
At the parade on Saturday, North Korean military official Choe Ryong-hae, who is believed to be the country’s second most powerful official, said that his country was “prepared to respond to an all-out war with an all-out war”.
The Korea Herald reports that another missile test failed earlier this month.
On April 5, Pyongyang fired off what was thought to be a KN-15 medium-range ballistic missile from the Sinpo area. It flew some 60 kilometers before falling into the East Sea.
Seoul officials said the missile launched Sunday could be the same type as the one fired earlier this month.
To check the security situation, National Security Office chief Kim Kwan-jin was set to convene a standing committee session of the National Security Council at 9:30 a.m., the presidential office here said.
If what happened to the leaders of Iraq and Libya ever cross Kim’s mind, this failure represents a crushing blow to his hopes to remain in power.
The Chinese term “paper tiger” comes to mind.