Taxpayers in Baton Rouge, Louisiana are going to be a little bit poorer thanks to a deal that pays Black Lives Matters protesters who were arrested while blocking a highway $1,000 each.
A federal judge signed off on a deal negotiated between BLM and local officials. Someone should have the locals read up on negotiating before stepping into a pile of crap like this deal.
Excerpt from MSN
BATON ROUGE, La. — A federal judge approved a class-action settlement Friday that awards up to $1,000 in cash to dozens of protesters who claim police violated their civil rights and used excessive force in arresting them after a deadly police shooting.
The deal resolves one of several lawsuits against Louisiana law enforcement agencies after a white Baton Rouge police officer shot and killed Alton Sterling, a 37-year-old black man, in July 2016. The shooting was one of several that had fueled a national debate about race and policing.
Black Lives Matter movement leader DeRay Mckesson is among 69 arrested protesters eligible for payments ranging from $500 to $1,000 now that U.S. District Judge John W. deGravelles has given his final approval. The judge, who said the total value of the settlement is about $136,000, ruled from the bench after a hearing that Mckesson and another plaintiff attended.
Police arrested nearly 200 people at protests in Baton Rouge after a white police officer fatally shot Sterling during a struggle outside a convenience store.
The Justice Department investigated the shooting and announced earlier this month that it won’t file criminal charges against the two officers who struggled with Sterling. Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry’s office is investigating whether any state charges are warranted.
The settlement’s class is limited to protesters who were arrested only on charges of obstructing a highway. The local district attorney announced last summer that roughly 100 arrested protesters wouldn’t be prosecuted on that charge.
Besides cash payments, the deal also calls for expunging criminal records free of charge. Plaintiffs’ attorney Roy Rodney Jr. said that is the most important component of the deal because it ensures a criminal record won’t follow the arrested protesters, many of whom are young adults.
A federal magistrate gave preliminary approval to the settlement in May. Nobody formally objected to the deal, but some publicly criticized it. The head of the union that represents Baton Rouge police officers has called the agreement a “slap in the face” and a “dangerous precedent” that could lead to even larger crowds at future protests.
Mckesson and two other arrested protesters were named as plaintiffs in the suit against the city of Baton Rouge and officials from the city’s police department, the local sheriff’s office and the Louisiana State Police. The lawsuit, filed last August and now resolved, claimed police advanced against peaceful protesters while wearing military gear and gas masks and brandishing assault weapons alongside armored vehicles.
Baton Rouge taxpayers should vote all responsible for this outrage out of office and into the unemployment line.
Cities have lawyers on payroll. They get paid whether they litigate or not. Fighting the BLACKmailers would be better than rolling over and playing dead as happened in this instance.