Here we go again with another Trump story coming from unnamed sources.
Let’s suppose that the president did say he intended to attack North Korea. This is the same president who makes statements for their strategic value and then says the reverse later. For example, during the election campaign he was going to put Hillary Clinton in jail. Then he invited her to the inauguration and called her good people.
One commenter at the Daily Mail, the publisher of this story, calls out Trump for sabre rattling. This time honored tactic is cheap. It doesn’t cost anything to signal future military aggressiveness. Likewise, Trump’s recent Tweet expressing discontent with China also costs the country nothing.
Donald Trump is poised to order a military strike against North Korea ‘within the next year’ after the communist state said it had successfully fired a ballistic missile capable of hitting the US mainland.
Senior military sources in Washington DC told The Mail on Sunday that Pentagon officials have laid out plans to obliterate a nuclear weapons facility operating deep within a mountain in the rogue state.
The move, which could spark retaliation attacks from dictator Kim Jong-Un, would be a major step towards all-out war to stop North Korea from developing nuclear weapons. It comes after North Korea fired an intercontinental ballistic missile with a range of 6,500 miles on Friday night.
The Pentagon said the missile flew about 2,300 miles almost straight up before plunging into the sea off Japan about 620 miles from its launch site.
Experts in the US said the missile could have hit Chicago or even New York if it had been launched on a flatter trajectory.
Kim Jong-Un claimed the whole of the US could be hit ‘at any place and time’.
America responded with live firing exercises by US troops in South Korea yesterday. President Trump vowed to ‘take all necessary steps’ to ensure the security of the US and its allies.
Just to keep everyone confused, Bloomberg reports that China is betting that Trump will NOT attack the North.
China is betting that U.S. President Donald Trump won’t make good on his threats of a military strike against North Korea, with Beijing continuing to provide a lifeline to Kim Jong Un’s regime.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson singled out China and Russia as “economic enablers” of North Korea after Kim on Friday test-fired an intercontinental ballistic missile for the second time in a matter of weeks. While Tillerson said the U.S. wants a peaceful resolution to the tensions, the top American general called his South Korean counterpart after the launch to discuss a potential military response.
China on Saturday condemned the latest test while calling for restraint from all parties, a muted reaction to Pyongyang’s progress on an ICBM capable of hitting the U.S. mainland. Despite Kim’s provocations, analysts said Beijing still sees the collapse of his regime as a more immediate strategic threat, and doubts Trump would pull the trigger given the risk of a war with North Korea that could kill millions.
“The military option the Americans are threatening won’t likely happen because the stakes will be too high,” said Liu Ming, director of the Korean Peninsula Research Center at the Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences. “It’s a pretext and an excuse to pile up pressure on China. It’s more like blackmail than a realistic option.”
Relations between the world’s biggest economies have soured after an initial honeymoon between Trump and President Xi Jinping. The U.S. last month sanctioned a regional Chinese bank, a shipping company and two Chinese citizens over dealings with North Korea, which could be a precursor to greater economic and financial pressure on Beijing to rein in its errant neighbor.