Breaking: Armed Man at Orlando Airport, Suspect Cornered but NOT in Custody

Although no shots have been fired as of this writing, the Orlando Florida airport experienced a scare this evening. A yelling, agitated man pulled a gun inside the airport. When police responded to the disturbance he holed up in the airport somewhere near the rental car area.

I thought I heard the voice of the armed man. He sounded nonwhite to me, but I can’t be sure I wasn’t hearing the voice of a police officer.

Orlando Sentinel

An armed man at Orlando International Airport prompted a massive law-enforcement response that closed Terminal A, authorities said Tuesday night.

The man is not in custody but is “contained,” and speaking to a crisis negotiator, according to Orlando police.

“There is no active shooter. No shots fired,” the Orlando Police Department said on social media.

A government source said police have the man surrounded and are trying to get him to surrender his weapon. Orlando Sentinel news partner Fox 35 reported that the armed man has not harmed himself or anyone else.

Airport spokeswoman Carolyn Fennell said an armed man was on the first floor of the airport in the rental-car area. It was first reported about 7:24 p.m.

Glorializ Colón Plaza, 20, said she was just getting off work from Virgin Atlantic airlines when she saw everyone hiding. She got off the elevator and saw the man on the floor near the rental-car area. He was screaming, and cops had surrounded him.

“I couldn’t make out the words, but he was screaming really loud,” she said. “Everyone there told me right before this happened a man said to everyone: ‘You’re going to need mental therapy after this,’ then he pulled out a gun and everyone ran.”

Plaza said she didn’t hear any gunshots or see anyone who was injured.

“I saw all the cops with the long rifles and started shaking,” she said. “It didn’t seem real.”

Fennell also said law enforcement had cleared the first floor. Terminal A is shut down, and traffic entering the airport was at a standstill.

All roads leading to the airport were shut down after the incident, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. FHP troopers were telling those in the area to “stay in your vehicle and away from law enforcement personnel.”

By about 9:15 p.m., officials appeared to be letting some traffic into the area.

James Roland, a supervisor at Wally Park, an off-site airport lot, said he had customers that are stuck at the airport after arriving.

They were alerted by what was going on by all the lights and sirens.

“We didn’t know what was going on — we just knew it was big,” he said.

Leave a Reply. Comments Policy Forbids Insulting Other Commenters.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s